There is no guaranteed way to prevent getting a hernia or to prevent recurrence of a hernia. Some hernias are due to a congenital condition. The most important thing you can do to prevent a hernia is to stay healthy. Here are some guidelines:
- Practice good nutrition. Eating right will help you avoid the constipation that can lead to straining during a bowel movement. It will also helpx keep your muscles healthy.
- Maintain a healthy weight. If you are overweight, try to lose some weight to ease the pressure on your abdominal muscles.
- Do regular, gentle exercises to tone and strengthen your abdominal muscles.
- Use proper lifting techniques and avoid lifting weights that are too heavy for you.
- Don't smoke. If you do, quit. Chronic coughing from lung irritation can put you at increased risk for a hernia. It can also cause a hernia to recur.